Coconut Oil for Hair and Skin Care
Coconut oil is proven by over a thousand studies that it is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Aside from being a healthy and refreshing food and beverage, there area lot of other benefits of coconut oil that are way more than what people might realize.
Research have shown that the fruit is healthy because it contains healthy fats called medium-chain fatty acids, called, MCFAs, including Caprylic acid, Lauric acid, and Capric acid. The coconut oil is very healthy because around 62% of the oils in the coconut are made of these acids, and 91% of the coconut fat is healthy saturated fat.
There are actually several ways to extract coconut oil from the coconut. One of these techniques is called the expeller technique. This technique involves a special screw press that compresses the coconut meat. This helps to squeeze almost all of the oil out of the coconut meat. For small amounts of coconut oil, you can actually use a cheese cloth to get the oil out of the meat.
One of the first times that coconut oil was mentioned was by Costas, who was an explorer and Egyptian traveler. He wrote about coconut oil in 5 A.D. Coconut trees can now be found in 80 different countries. They grow where it is warm and sunny, and most of us have seen them near beaches.
The Chinese wrote about using coconut oil in the 9th century. There was mention of coconut oil in the "1,001 Arabian Nights" stories as well. Marco Polo also wrote of using coconut oil in 1280. It seems that coconut oil was incredibly popular then. Sir Francis Drake even wrote about how he used it in the 1600's.
Blends Well With
Coconut oil is a very safe carrier oil. Much like other oils, it is always suggested that you test a small patch of skin in order to check your skin's sensitivity to it. Many people cook with coconut oil which can be healthy, but it can also raise your cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol, you need to talk to your doctor before you start cooking with coconut oil.
Benefits and Uses
Its benefits include the following:
- It is proven to be a natural treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease. The digestion of these fats from the coconut oil creates ketones, which are able to create an alternate source of energy to help repair brain function.
- Coconut oil can prevent cancer cells from developing, and treat cancer when it is already there.
- It can boost your immune system because it is antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral.
- The coconut oil is proven to improve memory problems of patients. The MCFAs are brought to the brain without the use of insulin, which is why the brain cells are fueled more efficiently.
- It also improves digestion because it helps the body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, calcium, and magnesium.
- Coconut oil can destroy bad bacteria.
- The oil can reduce symptoms of gallbladder disease and pancreatitis.
- It can naturally prevent osteoporosis because it has high levels of antioxidants which help fight free radicals.
- It can prevent skin issues such as burns, eczema, dandruff, dermatitis, and psoriasis. It is very effective in healing the skin, which is why it is a common ingredient for skin and hair products.
- It can be helpful in building muscle and losing body fat.