Did you ever say to someone: “I must get back into bed it seems like I got out the wrong side”? Days like this you feel like everything is going wrong. But there are ways to turn it around you might be having a fine day before something happens that turns the tables for you. Whatever it is that causes your day to turn ugly, recognize that and ask yourself how big of a deal it really is. If it is one of the more serious/legitimate reasons as to why you're now having a bad day, then go ahead and deal with it, but if it's just a silly reason, then try and find the good out of it.
Bad days come. With the right technique, you can wrestle them to the ground, put them in a submission hold, and make them apologize for ruining your good mood. Then, you get on with your day. So how do you do that? How can you turn your bad day into a good one?
Surround yourself with the people you love and care about. I know it's tempting to just want to be alone when you're having an off day, or cut people off, some company is better than no company, especially when you're feeling a little bit down. This is guaranteed to turn that frown upside down, and make for a great rest of your day.
Accept what is.
Tap into gratitude.
Buy yourself a coffee.
Cut out of work early.
Make a gratitude list.
If you look hard enough, you can find some good in your life. Even on the worst days, you can identify things for which to be grateful. Open your journal, and don’t close it again until you have at least twenty of them in your gratitude list.
- Bills Paid
- Kind words someone said
- Clean drinking water
- Nourishing food
- Good books
- Kindness from a stranger
- Your dog or cat
- Your life
If nothing immediately comes to mind, borrow some of my ideas:
- Send a friend a text message
- Compliment your server at a restaurant.
- Give one of your friends, co-workers, or colleagues a positive review on LinkedIn.
- Help a stranger by answering a question
- Buy someone a gift
- Bake cookies for a friend.
- Offer to babysit for free for a friend who has children.
- Think of someone who would benefit from your skills or expertise
- Buy a coffee for the person behind you in line.
- Treat a friend to dinner.
- Call your mom
- Write a letter to someone who has positively impacted your life.
- Drop a love bomb on someone on Facebook.
- Think of a single mother or single father you know. Offer to help.
- Take a dog for a walk.
So, sit with your list of the happiest things in your life. And focus on those. Shut your eyes, think about all of the great things in your life, and breathe. Think positive thoughts and almost let the positive energy flow through you. Whether or not your feel like it, try smiling.
LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT AND HOW YOU DECIDE TO LIVE IT. When life throws you lemons, make some damn tasty lemonade.